GStreamer ( LGPL )ia a media handling library written in C for applicatioan such as streaming , recording, playback , mixing and editing attributes etc. Even enhnaced applicaiosn such as tsrancoding , media ormat conversion , streaming servers for embeeded devices ( read more about Gstreamer in RPi in my srticle here).
It encompases various codecs, filters and is modular with plugins developement to enhance its capabilities. Media Streaming application developers use it as part of their framework at either the broadcaster’s end or as media player.
gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! videoconvert ! autovideosink
To list all packages of Gstreamer
pkg-config --list-all | grep gstreamer
- gstreamer-gl-1.0 GStreamer OpenGL Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, OpenGL plugins libraries
- gstreamer-bad-video-1.0GStreamer bad video library – Bad video library for GStreamer elementsgstreamer-tag-1.0 GStreamer Tag Library – Tag base classes and helper functionsgstreamer-bad-base-1.0 GStreamer bad base classes – Bad base classes for GStreamer elements
- gstreamer-net-1.0GStreamer networking library – Network-enabled GStreamer plug-ins and clockinggstreamer-sdp-1.0 GStreamer SDP Library – SDP helper functions
- gstreamer-1.0 GStreamer – Streaming media framework
- gstreamer-bad-audio-1.0 GStreamer bad audio library, uninstalled – Bad audio library for GStreamer elements, Not Installedgstreamer-allocators-1.0 GStreamer Allocators Library – Allocators implementation
- gstreamer-player-1.0 GStreamer Player – GStreamer Player convenience library
- gstreamer-insertbin-1.0 GStreamer Insert Bin – Bin to automatically and insertally link elements
- gstreamer-plugins-base-1.0 GStreamer Base Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, base plugins libraries
- gstreamer-vaapi-glx-1.0 GStreamer VA-API (GLX) Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, VA-API (GLX) plugins librariesgstreamer-codecparsers-1.0 GStreamer codec parsers – Bitstream parsers for GStreamer elementsgstreamer-base-1.0 GStreamer base classes – Base classes for GStreamer elements
- gstreamer-app-1.0 GStreamer Application Library – Helper functions and base classes for application integration
- gstreamer-vaapi-drm-1.0 GStreamer VA-API (DRM) Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, VA-API (DRM) plugins librariesgstreamer-check-1.0 GStreamer check unit testing – Unit testing helper library for GStreamer modules
- gstreamer-vaapi-1.0 GStreamer VA-API Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, VA-API plugins libraries
- gstreamer-controller-1.0 GStreamer controller – Dynamic parameter control for GStreamer elements
- gstreamer-video-1.0 GStreamer Video Library – Video base classes and helper functions
- gstreamer-vaapi-wayland-1.0 GStreamer VA-API (Wayland) Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, VA-API (Wayland) plugins libraries
- gstreamer-fft-1.0 GStreamer FFT Library – FFT implementation
- gstreamer-mpegts-1.0 GStreamer MPEG-TS – GStreamer MPEG-TS support
- gstreamer-pbutils-1.0 GStreamer Base Utils Library – General utility functions
- gstreamer-vaapi-x11-1.0 GStreamer VA-API (X11) Plugins Libraries – Streaming media framework, VA-API (X11) plugins libraries
- gstreamer-rtp-1.0 GStreamer RTP Library – RTP base classes and helper functions
- gstreamer-rtsp-1.0 GStreamer RTSP Library – RTSP base classes and helper functions
- gstreamer-riff-1.0 GStreamer RIFF Library – RIFF helper functions
- gstreamer-audio-1.0 GStreamer Audio library – Audio helper functions and base classes
- gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.0 GStreamer Bad Plugin libraries – Streaming media framework, bad plugins libraries
- gstreamer-rtsp-server-1.0 gst-rtsp-server – GStreamer based RTSP server
At the time of writing this article Gstreamer an much early version in 1.X , which was newer than its then stable version 0.x. Since then the library has updated many fold. summarising release highlights for major versions as the blog was updated over time .
Gstreamer 1.8.0 – 24 March 2016
- Features Hardware-accelerated zero-copy video decoding on Android
- New video capture source for Android using the android.hardware.Camera API
- Windows Media reverse playback support (ASF/WMV/WMA)
- tracing system provides support for more sophisticated debugging tools
- high-level GstPlayer playback convenience API
- Initial support for the new Vulkan API
- Improved Opus audio codec support: Support for more than two channels; MPEG-TS demuxer/muxer can handle Opus; sample-accurate encoding/decoding/transmuxing with Ogg, Matroska, ISOBMFF (Quicktime/MP4), and MPEG-TS as container; new codec utility functions for Opus header and caps handling in pbutils library. The Opus encoder/decoder elements were also moved to gst-plugins-base (from -bad), and the opus RTP depayloader/payloader to -good.
- Asset proxy support in the GStreamer Editing Services
GStreamer 1.16.0 – 19 April 2019.
- GStreamer WebRTC stack gained support for data channels for peer-to-peer communication based on SCTP, BUNDLE support, as well as support for multiple TURN servers.
- AV1 video codec support for Matroska and QuickTime/MP4 containers and more configuration options and supported input formats for the AOMedia AV1 encoder
- Closed Captions and other Ancillary Data in video
- planar (non-interleaved) raw audio
- GstVideoAggregator, compositor and OpenGL mixer elements are now in -base
- New alternate fields interlace mode where each buffer carries a single field
- WebM and Matroska ContentEncryption support in the Matroska demuxer
- new WebKit WPE-based web browser source element
- Video4Linux: HEVC encoding and decoding, JPEG encoding, and improved dmabuf import/export
- Hardware-accelerated Nvidia video decoder gained support for VP8/VP9 decoding, whilst the encoder gained support for H.265/HEVC encoding.
- Many improvements to the Intel Media SDK based hardware-accelerated video decoder and encoder plugin (msdk): dmabuf import/export for zero-copy integration with other components; VP9 decoding; 10-bit HEVC encoding; video post-processing (vpp) support including deinterlacing; and the video decoder now handles dynamic resolution changes.
- ASS/SSA subtitle overlay renderer can now handle multiple subtitles that overlap in time and will show them on screen simultaneously
- Meson build feature-complete (with the exception of plugin docs) and it is now the recommended build system on all platforms. The Autotools build is scheduled to be removed in the next cycle.
- GStreamer Rust bindings and Rust plugins module
- GStreamer Editing Services allows directly playing back serialized edit list with playbin or (uri)decodebin