- What is Unified Communication ?
- Components of Unified Communications
- What is Unified communication and Collaboration ?
- Challenges with Unified Communications
- Types of UCC solutions
- Device / Platform Agnostic
- UC&C + CRM
- SME adopt UCC solutions
- Future of UCC
The rapidly changing scene of telecoms operations brings to light many challenges faced by telcos and service providers as they cater to the end-users, with swift and innovative services, while at the same time keeping surcharge operational costs at bay. Today a customer(B2B) expects converged orchestrated harmonized applications bringing call control and customizing features, all under one roof.
Unified Communications solutions bring together voice, messaging, video, and desktop applications to enable companies to quickly adapt to market changes, increase productivity, improve competitive advantage and deliver a rich-media experience across any work space.
Components of Unified Communications
The latest UCC solutions are based on open standards such as SIMPLE/XMPP protocols or socket.io and REST webservices
- Communications: Voice, data, and video
- Messaging: Voice, email, video, and IM
- Conferencing: Online, audio, and video
- Application integration: Microsoft Office and CRM
- Presence: IP phone, desktop clients, and call connectors
- Common user experience: Desktop, phone, and mobility
- Cloud / Virtualization Network Provisioning , Virtualized Applications
Video feature of UCC further has many aspects
- Codecs : H323,H264,vp8/vp9 for video
- Scalable Video Coding (SVC)
- USecase : Call , conference , Broadcasting , Livestreaming
- Codecs like OPUS, AAC
- Service like : voice Mail , IVR , auto attendant with Voice XML
Currently the mode of communication across various users differs such as emails , SMS, VOIP call , GSM call, message on other platform etc .These random forms of communication cannot be tracked thus hamper fast decision making .
Challenges with Unified Communications
- Adds complexity in to already complex infrastructure
- Lack of standardization
- Organization Infrastructure and Bandwidth Limitations
- Integration of services from different application platforms like emails
- migrating existing communication infrastructure like desk phones
- Interfacing of telephony applications with Business Applications such as CRMs
Types of UCC solutions
There exists broadly two types of UC&C solution – On-premise and cloud based . The fundamental difference is the location of the backend infrastructure supporting the communication system . Some more differences are outlined in table below:
|On -premise||Cloud Based|
|Mostly in SaaS nature ( software as a service )
Hosted by the consumer / business unit itself
|Service provider offers his infrastructure to the consumer as a service |
bills monthly / yearly etc
lower upfront payment
billing is either per user basis or on consumption .
data is synced to cloud servers for storage and can be fetched from there when required such as cloud synced Call-logs or contact-book
The UCC clients are designed keeping mobility in mind . Thus UC Solutions are made compatible with online provisioning / portal system , native mobile apps like android /ios , Desktop app for linux, mac, windows etc .
UC&C + CRM
UC&C models integrates with Enterprise and Customer Relation Management Systems (CRM). Therefore provides unified messaging across teamspace/workspace/workflow management systems . It is trackable and can be used for realtime notification and analytics .
This directly ensures boost in sales and profitability by quick communication between customers / partners / eco-system / sales-rep / developers / field agents and others part of the communication system.
SME ( Small and Medium Enterprises) are first to adopt UC&C due to absence of already setup traditional communication infrastructure like PSTN lines , desktop phones , special handsets etc .
Factors that enable SMEs to adopt UC&C solution much faster and readily. :
- quick setup
- low budget of UC&C solutions
- BYOD ( Bring your Own Device ) to work
- (+) All information is stored in one place therefore easier to retrieve
- (+) Increased Productivity
- (+) Greater flexibility
- (+) Faster Response and Information delivery
Future of UCC
- Context Driven + Real Time Analytics
- Monitization by cross vertical integration
- Integration with IOT
- Automation for Billing and Operation – OSS/BSS
- Machine Learning
- Big Data Management
In conclusion UC&C is aimed at providing inter operable communications with ubiquitous coverage for applications and devices such as desktops , IP phones , smartphones, smart watches , kisosk etc. It means web , native apps and IP phones having the ability to create, share and participate in integrated multimedia ( like audio, video , desktop, files ) collaboration.