In the course of evolution of RAN ( Radio Access layer) technologies 5G outsmarts 4G-2010 which comes in succession after 3G-2000 , 2.5G, 2G -1990 and 1G / PSTN -1980 respectively . Among the mosy striking features of 5G –
- entirely IP based
- ability to connect 100x more devices ( IOT favourable )
- speed upto 10 Gbit/s
- high peak bit rate
- high data volume per unit area
- virtually 0 latency hence high response time
Thus it can accomodate the rapid growth of rich mulimedia application like OTT streaming of HD content, gaming , Augmented reality so on while enabling devices connected to Internet of Things sto onboard the telecommunication backbone with high system spectral efficiency and ubiquitious connectivity .
Infact 5G has seen maximum investment in year 2020 in revamping infrastrcuture as compared to other technologies such as IoT or even Cloud. This could be partly due to high rise in high speed communication for streaming and remote communication owining to steep rise in remote learning adn working from home scenarious.
5G is specified to operate over range 1 GHz to 100 GHz.
- Low-band spectrum (below 2.5 GHz) provides excellent coverage,
- mid- band spectrum (2.5–10 GHz) provides a combination of good coverage and very high bitrates,
- high band-spectrum (10–100 GHz) provides the bandwidths needed for the highest bitrates (up to 20 Gb/s) and lowest latencies
Workplan for 5G standardisation and release
The Workplan started in 2014 and is ongoing as of now (2018)
3GPP is the standard defining body for telecom and has specified almost all RAN technologies like GSM , GPRS , W-CDMA , UMTS , EDGE , HSPAand LTE before .
Applications of 5G
5G targets three main use case
- enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB),
- massive machine type communications (mMTC)
- ultra-reliable low latency communications (URLLC) (also called critical machine type communications (cMTC))